Mental health is a daunting topic. I suffer from several anxiety disorders and I’ve felt so overwhelmed and exhausted at times that I’m ready to fall asleep at 5:30 p.m. Anxiety can be energy consuming if not directly addressed. In times of distress I turn to the Lord and here are three verses I recite and recite when I feel a panic attack arising.
1. “Do not be afraid about anything, but instead pray about everything” -Philippians 4:6
- This verse speaks to me so deeply. This was the first verse I came into contact to that calmed my soul at once. All my worry was put to rest when I read this verse because I realized that all I need to do is pray and God will take away my worry. Not only should I pray for his help, but also his forgiveness. Lastly, praise. I always thank God for all He has done for me when I’m praying. My anxiety seems trivial compared to the blessings He has bestowed upon me.
2. “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” -Philippians 4:13
- This verse emits so much power. How silly does my anxiety seem now that I know I can do anything that scares me because Christ gives me strength? I can acknowledge that my anxiety is a real feeling and scary at times, but this verse puts it into perspective. Christ gives me all the strength I need to overcome my anxiety and fears.
3. “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own” -Matthew 6:34
- Each time I begin to feel anxious about tomorrow, or an event that’s happening tomorrow I remember this verse. Why worry about tomorrow when I can focus on today and work through today? My anxiety will be present tomorrow, but I can focus on my anxiety today to help myself.
Each of these verses has helped me immensely! When I feel anxiety creeping into my thoughts, or a panic attack on the verge I repeat one of these verses constantly until the worrisome thoughts have calmed. Anxiety is hard, very hard at times. The Lord’s word is the best way to combat the fear that finds it’s way into my mind. I replace this fear with the Truth when I repeat what I believe in. My mental health has flourished in the past months I have been repeating God’s Word. Fear has got nothing on my anxiety when I have the Lord on my side!
I am by no means an expert on anxiety, but I hope that by sharing my journey I can help others who are experiencing similar feelings!